Since its opening, CORE Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Physical Therapy has helped improve the lives of patients with a variety of lung diseases.
Why Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Pulmonary rehabilitation has emerged as a recommended standard of care for patients with chronic lung disease based on a growing body of scientific evidence.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation is recognized as a core component of the management of individuals with chronic respiratory disease.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation is a multidisciplinary and comprehensive intervention for patients with chronic respiratory diseases who are symptomatic and often have decreased daily life activities.
- The success of pulmonary rehabilitation stems from its favorable influence on not only the lungs but the heart and the muscular system that are often also involved with chronic lung disease.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation has been clearly demonstrated to reduce shortness of breath, increase exercise capacity, and improve quality of life in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Pulmonary rehabilitation has become a key component of the integrated care of patients with chronic respiratory diseases.
Chest Physical Therapy
Pulmonary rehabilitation may include the need for chest physical therapy. The purpose of chest physical therapy is to help patients breathe more freely and to get more oxygen into the body. Chest physical therapy is an airway clearance technique (ACT) to drain the lungs. It may include postural drainage, chest percussion, chest vibration, turning, deep breathing exercises, and/or coughing.
Chest vibration involves placing the hands on the patient's chest wall and applying an oscillatory action in the direction of the normal movement of the ribs during expiration.
Percussion involves rhythmically striking the chest wall with cupped hands. It is also called cupping or clapping. The purpose of percussion is to break up thick secretions in the lungs so they can more easily be removed.
- Chronic Bronchitis
- S/P abdominal or thoracic surgery
- Lung Cancer
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Lung Transplant
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
Personalized Program Details:
We provide you with a custom program to meet your every need. Together we can improve your quality of life, health, and help you manage your disease.
Programs consist of:
- Thorough Initial Evaluation
- Monitored Exercise Program
- Breathing Control and Retraining
- Daily Performance Reports
- Monthly Progress Reports to Your Physician
- Long-term Follow Up
- Low Cost Maintenance Programs are Available
- Oxygen saturation monitoring
A Multidisciplinary Approach to Education & Treatment
Your treatment team may consist of:
- Your Pulmonologist
- Doctors of Physical Therapy
- Your Primary Care Doctor
Make an appointment today. Call to schedule a consultation.